I’m an avid black bean soup fan, but as a college student, making soup sounds like a long, laborious process after a day of classes. I searched for ways to make black bean soup easily, but nothing was really easy enough (seriously, dinner can sometimes be the hassle after a day of biochemistry). Leave it to me to experiment and find the actual easiest and wallet-friendly black bean soup.
College-Easy Black Bean Soup
Yield: Approx. 4 servings
You will need:
- 1 – 15.5 oz. can of black beans
- 1/2 cup salsa (flavor of choice – I use mild)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (low-sodium, preferably)
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 2 tablespoons of shredded cheddar cheese (you may wish to add more later)
- OPTIONAL: 1/4 cup dry quinoa (if you are looking for a soup with more substance. Note that the quinoa absorbs a lot of the moisture and can make the texture less soup-like. I have pictures of both options below.)
- Place the can of black beans into a blender and blend until most beans have disappeared. Texture will be very thick and lumpy.
- OPTIONAL: If you are making the recipe with the quinoa, cook the quinoa now.
- Pour/scoop the black beans into a medium size pan on the stove.
- Add the salsa and chicken broth. Mix together.
- Turn the stove top on to medium heat. Allow the mixture to bubble, but NOT boil.
- Once, bubbling, lower heat to a simmer. Add the chili powder. Allow to simmer, covered, for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the cheddar cheese and stir. Allow the cheese to melt into the soup. Cover and let simmer for another minute or so.
- OPTIONAL: If making the recipe with quinoa, add the quinoa when adding the cheese.
- Take the pan off of the heat, and pour a serving into a bowl. Enjoy!
I like to add an additional topping of Mexican blend shredded cheese, some crumpled tortilla chips, and a dab of salsa (for aesthetic appeal, quite honestly).
(DISCLAIMER: I realize that not everyone has cans of black beans or chicken broth sitting around the kitchen, so you may need to prepare for the meal in advance by picking these ingredients up during your normal shopping trip. Once you have the ingredients, the preparation takes no time at all.)
I hope that this recipe can make all of your black bean soup dreams come true.